It’s day 16 of our shutter advent calendar and today we’re looking at divider rails.
A divider rail is a solid horizontal rail located in shutter panels which split slats into more than one operational section. There are two purposes for divider rails:
1. They provide structural support for shutter panels above a certain height.
2. They offer up more versatility of use in the slats as any collection of slats separated by the rail can be operated independently. This gives the option to have certain sections closed and others open depending on the level of light and privacy control looking to be achieved.
Contrary to popular belief, although a common choice, divider rails aren’t always located in the centre of panels. Rails can be placed at whatever height best suits the shutter whether it is three quarters of the way up the panel, or a small part of the way up, depending on where natural divides in the window are or wherever the preferred location is.
Divider rails are most commonly featured in full height shutters to beak up the height of panels which are made to the whole length of the window. However, divider rails are also occasionally added to taller café style panels where clients still want the versatility of being able to control different slat sections independently.
More than one divider rail can be added to panels if desired to split the slats into three sections as opposed to two.
Clients who like the idea of having independently opening slat sections but who are not keen to have a solid divider rails could opt for hidden breaks as an alternative. Our expert surveyors can help advise what the best option for your shutters is based on your design preferences and window style. Book in for a survey today to meet with our experienced surveyors and get your shutter journey started!
- Material(s):Hardwood ShuttersPearlwood ShuttersSecurity ShuttersCraftwood MDF ShuttersWaterproof Shutters
- Style(s):Full HeightCafé StyleTier on TierSolid PanelsOdd Shaped
- Room(s):Living roomBedroomBathroomKitchenDining room
- Range(s):Classic (64mm)In Vogue (76mm)Modern (89mm)
- Tilt rod style(s):Traditional (centred)Traditional (offset)Contemporary (hidden)
- Finish(es):White & off-white