Frequently Asked Questions
It's simple, you should be looking for a company that has many years of experience, offers a high quality product at a competitive price and has a proven track record on excellent customer service and reliability. This's exactly what we can offer!
There are two ways of knowing how much your shutters will cost, as follows:
Quote based on our measurements
We have experts with many years experience who will come to your house and take accurate measurements. Normally, we leave you with a written quote.
You can call us now on 020 8871 9222 or email us and we will book an appointment to come to you house. Alternatively, you can use our request a call back service and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Quote based on your measurements
You can either enter your rough window dimensions into our quick quote calculator, call us now on 020 8871 9222 or email us with some approximate sizes and we can provide an immediate ball park quote.
We strongly recommend that you use our in house team of experts to measure and fit your shutters due to the fact that shutters can be remarkably unforgiving if measured wrongly or installed incorrectly.
a. Some shutter retailers have the same fine quality product as ours, however the companies lack both our passion for shutters, and more importantly over 35 years combined measuring and fitting experience. It is therefore our service, product, passion and expertise that sets us apart from the rest.
b. Other companies may have different products. The questions you should ask the competition are as follows:
• Are all the joints mortice and tenon, not pencil dowels? - We use mortice and tenon joints, they are far more secure.
• Is fitting in-house or sub-contracted out? How long have they been established? - We use our outstanding in-house team with experience that stretches beyond 15 years.
• Are all fixing screws hidden? - Our shutters have a very clean look with the fixing screws hidden.
• Are the panels rebated? - We offer rebated, D mould and Butt stiles.
• Do they have an array of frame options? - We have an extensive range of frames available for both inside and outside mounted shutters, in addition to those shown in the Mounting Options section.
You must bear in mind that no matter how good the product, if it is fitted badly you will not achieve the desired look.
The current lead time is approximately 8-10 weeks from the date of order confirmation/receipt of deposit for standard shutters.
Special shapes and custom colour matches will add to the lead time. Lead times can be confirmed by the office once your order is placed.
Please be aware that the lead time can fluctuate throughout the year.
The shutters are made in China within a week of order placement, however they have to be shipped back to the UK and it is this that takes the time.
Shutters can be sent by air-freight if necessary, which considerably cuts down the lead-time to 3 - 4 weeks. Price starts at £128 per square meter (inc VAT).
Shutters are not blackout due to tolerances required for slat movement and the opening and closing of panels.
Due to the advanced technology of our shutters (i.e. rebated side style and clever frame options) our panels keep more light out when closed than most others on the market.
We have fitted many bedrooms and nurseries and have never had cause for complaint. We can also supply shutters with an integrated room darkening blind encased within the frame to minimise light pollution.
On flat windows (not bay windows) this is very feasible as we side fix into the plaster of the recess, thus not affecting the PVC. However, on bay windows there might be a couple of things to have a look at, as follows:
1. The handles on UPVC windows usually protrude too far to achieve a neat fixing. It would be ideal to have a chat with one of our experienced members of staff to learn more about your options.
2. If it is possible to fix them, there might be some drilling into the PVC involved so once again, it's recommended to talk to our friendly team to learn more about your options.
a. Terms for SUPPLY, MEASURE and FIT service - 50% of the monies being due on the day of order, with the balance due pre-installation or in 8 weeks time (whichever is sooner). Monies may be paid by cash, cheque or debit card. Should you wish to pay by Mastercard or Visa, there is an additional 2% charge on the balance. We do not accept American Express.
b. Terms for SUPPLY ONLY (mail order service) - 100% up front, on placement of the order.
We strongly recommend that you use our in house team of experts to measure your shutters due to the fact that shutters can be remarkably unforgiving if measured wrongly and once an order is placed, it cannot be changed.
However, we have created a quick guide to help you with it. Click on the link below:
It is very easy and fast to place your order. Once all measurements, specifications and costs have been agreed you can call us on 020 8871 9222 and we will be more than happy to get it placed for you.
We have also created a guide to help you understand the whole ordering process. Click on the link below to read it:
Yes. Usually we like to quantify and qualify rough requirements and cost prior to the site visit, but on acceptance of this we pride ourselves in our knowledgeable and experienced in-house measuring and fitting team.
We offer an onsite survey, measure and installation service for a reasonable additional cost, depending on where you are based.
We will do everything for you from start to finish - all you will have to do is choose the style and colour of your shutters from the selection of samples that the measurer brings to your house.
To find out more about what we do, click on the link below:
Once again, we strongly recommend that you use our in house team of experts to measure and fit your shutters due to the fact that shutters can be remarkably unforgiving if measured wrongly or installed incorrectly.
However, we have created a quick guide to help you with it. Click on the link below:
MDF shutters are made of Medium Density Fibre, and coated using a first-class, innovative manufacturing process and the world’s most advanced (patented) coating technology developed in the US.
This unique combination of materials make MDF shutters durable and sturdy, resistant to chipping, cracking, fading and warping.
Clink on the link below to explore our MDF range:
• It is 25% cheaper while almost identical in appearance.
• It is offers exactly the same levels of quality
• It is heavier than the other materials so therefore, it is less suited to wide windows and doors
• It is only available in a limited range of colours, frame options and designs (it cannot be used for shaped windows or for customised specifications)
Click on the link below to explore our MDF range:
You would be able to specify your colour of choice providing you choose one of the following materials: White Teak or Pearlwood shutters. The shutters would then be painted at point of manufacture, to colour match any range of colour palettes from manufacturers such as Dulux, Ral, Farrow & Ball, Paint & Paper Library amongst others. Please be aware that we cannot guarentee the entire range of each palette will be possible to colour match.
This will cost £150 exc. VAT per special colour match required.
Click on the link below to view all our finish options:
Plantation Shutters Ltd does not offer this service and we are not able to recommend a company that does, however it is not outside the realm of possibility if your shutters are in the wooden materials (opposed to composite MDF).
Please be aware that, depending on the company you source, you will need to take down, de-hinge, re-hinge and reinstall the shutters.
Our shutters are sprayed pre-assembly and finished with a UV resistant coating therefore it will be hard to recreate the original finish and potentially will have shadowing around the louvres for example.
Here are few tips to look after your shutters:
• Don’t leave the windows open when it is raining - the product is not waterproof.
• Dust regularly. We recommend our ostrich feather dusters, available from our showroom. Alternatively, wipe with a damp cloth.
• When closing the slats, use the tilt rod whenever possible with an up and down motion, not an outward pulling motion.
• To close the slats completely, close them in the up position. Be sure to close the slats before opening panels. Failing to do this will cause the slats to "pinch" and could cause damage.
• When physically closing the panels, line up the leading edges. Panels that aren’t closed properly and lined up will eventually settle in the slightly skew shape. • If over time you feel the slat movement has become slack, look down the side of each panel and you will see a tension screw. Simply use a Phillips head screwdriver to adjust the tension as needed, being careful not to overtighten.
• Don’t try and take the shutters down yourself. This will negate the warranty. If you require them to be taken down, please contact us to discuss the next steps.
• Don’t repaint - shutters are sprayed pre-assembly and repainting will clog up moving parts.
No, unless subject to misuse.
There is no definitive to answer to this. We have been established over thirty years and are fortunate enough to receive positive feedback from previous customers who have had shutters for over 20 years with no complaints and are still in full working order.
The shutters we install today is an evolved product from that of 20 years ago, having undergone extensive improvement and subjected to many quality control tests to meet the highest standards and in our opinion is the best quality shutter on the market today.
Our shutters have a manufacturer’s warranty of five years.
We warrant that our shutters will be defect free in materials or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the shutters, subject to below, provided that such products were properly installed; and such products were made or assembled exclusively from original materials and components. Any resale or other transfer of the product and/or materials voids this warranty.
This warranty is exclusive and in lieu of all other obligations, liabilities or warranties. In no event shall Plantation Shutters be liable for incidental or consequential damages, or for any expense associated with such damages. Repair or remakes of defective products is the sole remedy under this warranty and in no event shall Plantation Shutters be liable for costs to remove and/or reinstall the product. Repairs will be made only with like or similar parts. This warranty does not include shipping charges or the cost of labour involved for measuring and installation.
This warranty does not cover any condition of or damage to the shutter or window, from unauthorized repairs, accidents, alterations, misuse, abuse, act of God, motorized devices, wear and tear or failure to follow our instructions with respect to measurement, installations, cleaning or maintenance. Improper, inappropriate or unauthorized replacement parts, repairs or maintenance voids this warranty. This warranty excludes all liability for removal of the shutter and reinstallation in the same or another window, or damage to the window frame, glass or any other portion of the window. Due to manufacturing, natural variations in colour, grain and texture in these products, Plantation Shutters is not able to guarantee exact matches to samples, nor are they able to guarantee exact matches on subsequent orders. Returns cannot be authorised due to these normal variations.
All other warranties, both express and implied, are expressly disclaimed. This warranty excludes all liability for consequential or incidental damages for any cause whatsoever.
Colour Fastness - 5 years
Structure - 5 years
Hardware - 5 year
Stainless Steel Hardware - 5 years
Remote Control - 2 years
WARNING (on SUPPLY ONLY - Mail order deliveries)
All shutters, frames and battens are put through an 18 point quality control checking system. Once checked, they are photographed with high resolution digital equipment before being packaged. Packages are then photographed as they are unloaded from the shipping container if they show any signs of damage.
Please bear this all in mind when making a claim with regard to a damaged shutter, frame or batten. Shutters are very easy to damage on site, and we will not replace or refund damaged goods unless you can prove that they arrived in this state. Please do not sign for damaged boxes until content has been checked.
We cannot guarantee a perfect colour match, as part of the character of a natural wood product is that it may vary in tone and grain.
A custom colour may not end up being an exact duplicate. This is due to a number of variables such as:
• the species of timber the paint is being applied to
• the number of coats applied
• the degree of sanding and surface preparation
• the temperature and humidity at application and drying
Click o the link below to download a PDF version of our warranty:
On the day of installation, it is required that your windows/doors are clear of wires, cables, dressings or anything else that may obstruct the shutters to be fitted.
Extremely delighted with my new shutters, professional service from start to finish and would not hesitate to recommend.