When we install your shutters, we leave you with a luxury ostrich feather duster. This duster is ideal for regularly keeping your shutters free of dust which can naturally settle onto the slats. For the most effective dusting, tilt the slats down and dust in the same direction before tackling the reverse. This top-quality duster allows you to successfully clean the shutters without worrying about scratching or damaging the slats.
Here’s your step-by-step guide to keep your shutters sparkling clean:
1. Dusting: This should always be the first step to avoid grimy particles building up in corners when a slight amount of moisture is introduced.
2. Vacuum: Once you have dusted the shutters, vacuum or sweep away any debris that may have fallen onto the floor to prevent anything from floating back up when you are cleaning the rest of the room.
3. Wipe: Use a cloth to wipe the shutters down as required. Begin with a dry cloth and wipe both the shutters and the surrounding window area. Slightly dampen the cloth, taking care to remove excess moisture to avoid leaving water marks or stains on the slats. Never directly spray any substances onto the shutters, use chemical cleaners, or allow water to dry on the slats, as this could harm the protective finishes applied during manufacturing.
4. Dry: After wiping down with the dampened cloth, go over the area once more with a dry cloth to ensure any remaining moisture is removed from the surface.
5. Repeat: To ensure your shutters will look brilliant for years to come make sure to repeat these steps when necessary.
Do all shutter materials need to be cleaned the same?
These cleaning instructions are suitable for all our shutter materials. Shutters made from our waterproof material are fully protected against water, so while the cleaning process is the same, you can be a bit more liberal with the damp cloth, without worrying about damage to the shutter finish. Remember to never use chemicals on any shutter material, as they could compromise the protective finishes.
How regularly should I clean my shutters?
Dusting your shutters once a week will save any build-up of dust or grime on the slats or panels. The shutters need only be fully wiped down every few weeks (like skirting boards for example) or as required. Do not scrub the shutters if they are marked as there is a risk of taking some of the coating off and damaging them permanently.
Do Plantation Shutters offer a cleaning service?
As shutters are relatively low maintenance to keep clean, we do not offer a full cleaning service for shutters but if you have any queries about your shutters then we are here to advise on anything you may need.
Still yet to get your wonderful new shutters or have a question about the maintenance of your existing shutters? Our friendly team are on hand to help with anything you need so don’t hesitate to get in touch today on 020 8871 9222 or fill in our Contact Us form here.